How Can You Help?
There are too many ways to count! Volunteers convene at Tubman House every Sunday from 12 to 3 pm (weather permitting) to build, paint, plant, harvest, teach, learn and connect. To learn more about volunteering or receive weekly updates on volunteering, visit our Facebook page here or reach out using this form. To donate needed items, funds, or services, please read on. Year-round we collect school supplies and non-perishable food for distribution in the Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood, items needed for our farm development and community activities, funds to sustain our farmland and our youth programs, and friends who can put their skills to work for the Tubman House projects. Monetary donations made through Tubman's fiscal sponsor, Fusion Partnerships, are tax deductible.
Our current needs are listed below, and we're always open to creative ideas. To arrange a donation please fill out this form or give us a call at (#) Thank you!
- School and art supplies, such as ruled notebooks; paintbrushes (2 inches and wider); looseleaf binder paper; new pencils and crayons; highlighters; and children's backpacks
- Landscape fabric (we need 3 of this kind)
- Chicken Feed (hormone free)
- Mushroom inoculation kits (we need 4 of this kind)
- Contractor grade landscape fabric (we need 6' by 300' of this kind)
- building grade sand (we need 3 tons, can be sourced from Harting & Sons Building Supplies)
- Heavy duty wire utility shelving (we need this kind)
- Vegetable seeds (organic or heirloom)
- Wildflower seeds (native to MD, do not need to be organic)
- Galvanized staples (we need this kind)
Tubman House is actively reclaiming land in the Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood, putting it to work to improve community life. We are currently fundraising $2000 to purchase two city lots by February 19! Become a monthly sustainer or make a one-time donation to contribute to acquisition and upkeep costs such as taxes and tools for maintenance. Every little bit helps! To donate to the land fund, please follow the link below and write "land fund" in the space provided for special instructions.
Every summer, Tubman House enrolls neighborhood youth in the Ella Baker Freedom School. Like all Tubman House programs, this program is donor-funded, and the number of kids enrolled each summer depends on the support we receive. Follow the link below to sponsor youth enrollment in the Ella Baker Freedom School! Please follow the link below and write "youth sponsorship" in the space provided for special instructions. A full summer sponsorship for one child is $350. However, any sponsorship amount is appreciated. Thank you!